Thursday, January 11, 2007

Electrical Engineer

For my 25th anniversary at Sparrow, I chose a Tiffany lamp from the gift book. The lamp, with a heavy metal base & a very beautiful pieced-glass shade, has graced my living room for almost ten years. For the past three years, my grandson has had an attraction for the lamp. He has spent a lot of time turning it on and off (it has pull chains within easy reach of small hands), he has accidentally hit the shade with a variety of balls, and has inadvertantly knocked the thing over onto the floor. Through it all, the lamp has worked well, but the shade has taken on a distorted, sinister look. The last assault put 90% of the shade on one side of the lamp. My daughter and son-in-law replaced the lamp for me yesterday. The old lamp was placed on the floor while the new lamp was set-up. In the short time it took for that chore, the future Electrical Engineer had completely dis-assembled the old lamp in the middle of the living room floor. Every screw, attachment and appendage was removed. Papa would be so proud of him! Today's Weather Forecast: Partly cloudy, 44 degrees F

No comments: