Sunday, August 12, 2007

Batik Wildflower Quilt

On Saturday, Van, Carol and I packed up our gear and trekked to Battle Creek for a day of sewing at the Marshall House Quilt Shop. As with every "great" day trip, we started at Beaner's! This quilt is hanging in the quilt shop and it is one that I am currently working on. I have chosen different colors and will add some batik sashing around each of the blocks. I like the "prairie point" border but think it would be for striking as an outer border. At this point, I have the blocks and flower pieces cut out and the layout organized. I heard a lot of advise on Saturday about how to add the flowers to the background squares. Some thought I should glue the on, some thought I should pre-baste all of the flower pieces so I could easily hand applique them to the fabric. Others thought I should use a needle-turn technique to hand applique them. Someone suggested I machine applique all of it. The glue is out for sure--as is the machine applique. I am still evaluating the work involved in the other techniques. The batiks are beautiful and the colors so vibrant. It was difficult to pick from all of the wonderful choices.

No comments: