Saturday, March 21, 2009

Grandmother's Fan

This is an interim update on THIS project! I have been working on this quilt since 1995. At that time, I thought I needed to totally piece a quilt by hand to appreciate the work and skill women used to create quilts before fancy sewing machines and templates. I cut the fan pieces individually by hand using scrap paper for piecing. (I actually used those pesky advertising inserts found in magazines - they were a little heavier weight and very easy to come by!) I then joined the fans together by hand and appliqued them to the yellow blocks by hand. For the sake of sturdy construction, I did put the blocks together by machine. I am now in the process of hand quilting the project. This quilt easily covers a king size bed! I have a lot of hand stitching to finish.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I always loved this pattern. I can't imagine doing it by hand. Good luck, and update us when it is done. Cindy