Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Trust

Wikipedia defines trust in a number of ways. It may refer to property law, finance, computer science or music. Trust is the name of a 1990 movie and fictional TV organizations. Trust is the basis of interpersonal relationships. There have been a lot of changes at my place employment recently that have led me to question whether I "trust" what is going on. When a long-time, hardworking Associate was recently given notice that her job would change because her skills no longer matched what was needed, I did not trust that the system was treating her well for the 30-plus years of service to the organization. I was angry and thought if it could be her, it could be me! After much thought and talk and review, I thoroughly understand the "why" it was done. Certainly the organization has dramatically changed in the last 10 years and it is not surprising that a different skill set is needed for many jobs. The irony of my reflections, though, is my realization that I need to be replaced, too. I still have a lot to offer in some capacity, but endless energy, a depth of experience in the area at multiple other organizations, and a need for a much more aggressive personality are needed to make my section of the organization successful in both the present and the future. I "trust" that those in leadership positions will come to the same conclusion.

No comments: