Sunday, December 17, 2006

Kyle's Quilt


While sitting in a bar late one night in Ireland almost two years ago, my nephew Kyle told me he would really like a homemade quilt. I quickly answered that I would love to make him one for Christmas. Well, the first Christmas passed and I had no quilt made. I felt really guilty and started one for him right after Christmas. He has never asked me about it or begged me for it or felt me feel badly in any way that I missed giving it to him that Christmas after our vacation. I have worked on and off on it all year, but since September, made a concerted effort to finish it. Today, the last of the sewing was completed. I now only have to clip the edges and wash it. The type of quilt I made uses a frayed-edge technique where a 1/2 inch seam allowance is clipped along every seam line. Once the quilt is then washed, the rough edges fray creating a very beautiful, country look to the quilt. It will be done for Christmas 2006!

No comments: